Marketing, we all agree, is the art of showcasing your wares in a way that it creates the right impact on the target audience and has an impressive recall value. During the main part of the last century, print radio and TV were the main media for marketing campaigns. All said and done, these had constraints of time availability of the audience. The advent of internet and blossoming of digital platforms like WhatsApp; Facebook; Instagram; twitter etc changed all this. Today the digital world has invaded even the most private spaces of our lives. So, the best way to reach your target audience is to go digital. This is called Digital Marketing. Apart from its fantastic reach, digital marketing is cheaper than the conventional modes of marketing.
Digital marketing is actually an umbrella term that covers a number of aspects/ sub-disciplines that are used in various permutations and combinations to woo the target audience. Each aspect or sub-discipline is equally important. It is their combined effort that succeeds in their endeavour. A brief introduction of these aspects is given below:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimiser): The objective of any campaign is to woo a prospect. It may not be possible unless it is visible to your target audience. SEO’s job is to arrange the infographics and other content in a way that it remains on the top page of a search engine. Otherwise, it will be lost in the plethora of advertisements for similar products that flood social media.
- Content Writing: This is like the screenplay of a film. It is this content that is sent to the target audience through email; paid social media etc. The success of the campaign is primarily dependent on the quality and flow of the content. The challenge is to modify the content for different platforms to make it acceptable and appealing e.g. Write abridged version for twitter and the crisper version for mobile phones.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): This aspect of digital marketing Deals with paid advertisements and marketing. Some of the activities under this include
- PPC (Pay per Click) and CPC (Cost per click): In this model, the advertiser pays the search engine or a website only when a surfer clicks the advertisement.
- Display Digital marketing: It is an online advertisement that uses videos; text banners; logos etc to promote your ware.
- Email marketing: In this emails are sent to the target audience directly. It is like a conventional cold calling that was quite popular once and is used even now. You can send a series of follow up emails also. These are called drip mails.
- Social Media Marketing: This is that sub-discipline of digital marketing in which articles by content writers and/ or experiences of other clients can be shared with various groups of target audience on social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram. This can be made participative to derive more mileage.
- Affiliate Marketing: A business can have a team of affiliates whose job is to woo customers. They work on some sort of commission basis.
- UX design: UX designer is like the art director of a film. It is his job to make the site so user-friendly that a visitor is smoothly able to navigate through the maze of informatics to reach the page of his choice and get what he is looking for.Digital Marketing is a fascinating profession with a number of sub-disciplines like a flower that is made up of a number of equally beautiful petals. Take your pick and you are bound to go places.